You are reading

Glendale Pastor Arrested for Sharing Explicit Texts and Photos With 15-Year-Old Boy: FBI

St. Pancras Church, 72-22 68th St. (Google Maps)

July 30,  2020 By Michael Dorgan

A Glendale pastor has been arrested for exchanging sexually explicit text messages and pornographic images with a minor from Westchester.

Francis Hughes, 65, who served at St. Pancras Church, located at 72-22 68th St., allegedly sent the 15-year-old boy a picture of his private parts and discussed performing sexual acts on him earlier this year.

Hughes was charged with one count of receipt and distribution of child pornography Wednesday. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the charge, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

“The allegations against Francis Hughes are chilling and frightening to any parent,” Acting U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss said.

“A person who, by the nature of his profession, is presumed to be trustworthy allegedly victimized a child. Thanks to the FBI, Hughes now faces a serious federal charge,” Strauss said.

According to the charges, Hughes texted the boy for a few hours on Feb. 16 after the two had met on Grindr. Grindr is an online dating application used by gay, bi, trans, and queer people.

Hughes told the boy that he was a part-time college professor and a counselor.

The pastor sent the boy a photograph of his private parts and photographs of his face and body. The boy sent Hughes at least one nude photograph of his privates.

The two then discussed meeting to engage in sexual acts before the pastor stopped returning the boy’s text messages.

Hughes admitted that he had sent the messages to the boy and knew he was texting a minor, federal prosecutors said.

Hughes also revealed that he had engaged in at least one physical sexual encounter with a 15-year-old at an unidentified high school in Queens.

The pastor was removed from his post at the church Wednesday, according to a spokesperson for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn. The diocese, which oversees Catholic churches in Queens and Brooklyn, said that and a new temporary parish administrator has been assigned to the position.

The US Attorney’s office said there may be more victims from Hughes’ alleged conduct and have appealed for them to come forward.

“If you are a parent or guardian, please take a moment to have a discussion with your children about protecting themselves and about how they can report the type of predatory behavior that is alleged here today,” FBI Assistant Director William F. Sweeney Jr. said.

Those with information to report are asked to call the FNI at 1-800-CALL-FBI.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

3 Comments

Click for Comments 
paul

You think about the history of the Catholic Church being one of the chief conduits and protectors of child sex abusers in the world, they would screen their priests more carefully now before they ordain them.

Reply
Javier

And THIS is why I refuse to let my son be an altar boy. And he’ll never set foot inside of a church by himself without either myself or his mother until he turns 18. After that, he can do and go wherever his path takes him and he’ll always have my blessings no matter what his choices are.

Reply
The truth hurts .

The question is :
How many more victims this monster abused ? . Innocent children this pervert harmed . I’m sure if the authorities investigate this friends they’ll find more predators.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fall fun in western Queens: Your guide to the best seasonal events

Aug. 29, 2025 By Jessica Militello

With beach days and summer BBQs behind us, the start of September rings in the start of magnificent Fall foliage, Halloween and more fun activities that come with the start of Autumn, including a list of Fall events in the area. From apple picking to seasonal ciders and more, there is tons to explore in the community. From Mystic Markets to scary movie meet-ups and more, here is a list of Fall events you do not want to miss.

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.