You are reading

8-Year-Old Richmond Hill Boy Placed on Ventilator from COVID-19 Infection

The Hardowar family in 2016, Jayden Hardowar pictured in bottom right (Roup Hardowar/ apacheis.com/)

May 5, 2020 By Allie Griffin

An otherwise healthy 8-year-old from Richmond Hill suffered heart failure and was placed on a ventilator in an intensive care unit last week— with coronavirus believed to be the culprit, according to a news report.

Jayden Hardowar, who is now recovering and is expected to survive, first came down with a fever and diarrhea in late April — then, within five days, he was intubated on a ventilator in the ICU at Cohen Children’s Hospital after suffering cardiac arrest, NBC New York reported.

No one within his family was known to have the virus, but doctors confirmed Hardowar had contracted COVID-19 after conducting an antibody test, according to the outlet. Hardowar did not have any pre-existing conditions.

His mother found the boy unresponsive in bed with blue lips last Wednesday and called 911. An ambulance rushed him to Jamaica Hospital before he was transferred to Cohen Children’s Hospital in Long Island, Hardowar’s parents told NBC.

Hardowar is one of more than a dozen children who have had similar complications across the city. In such cases, the virus causes inflammation that can send the body into a state of shock and cause organ failure, doctors and health experts said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today that the Health Department had confirmed an additional 15 cases similar to Hardowar.

Four of the 15 have tested positive for COVID-19 and six have the antibodies for the virus, de Blasio said.

The new cases contradict earlier beliefs that the virus largely fails to affect children.

“In general we know as we’ve dealt with the coronavirus that we have not seen the same kind of impact on young people that we see on older people, particularly much older people. But something’s happened the last few days, that’s beginning to concern our Health Department,” de Blasio said of the new developments.

Health experts said the complications in children linked to COVID-19 are similar to symptoms of toxic shock syndrome or Kawasaki disease, an autoimmune illness caused by viral infections that can lead to heart damage if it’s not identified and treated early on.

“We are learning that even though children by and large are mildly affected when it comes to COVID-19 that there can be situations where they are more severely affected,” the City’s Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot said.

The complications like those experienced by Hardowar are still rare, Barbot said. However, similar cases have been found in the United Kingdom, as well as Boston and Philadelphia, she said.

Still, the NYC Health Department issued an alert Monday night asking health providers to report any patients under 21 with similar inflammatory syndromes.

De Blasio said parents should call their child’s doctor immediately if their child has persistent fever, a rash, abdominal pain and vomiting.

“If your children are experiencing these symptoms, particularly in combination, call your doctor right away,” he said. “We want to make sure that if a child is dealing with this reality, they get the support that they need.”

Other symptoms can include red eyes, brightly colored lips and tongues and swelling of the hands and feet, Barbot said.

“Generally if the condition is identified early there is definitive treatment, and there are typically no long-term consequences,” Barbot said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.