You are reading

DOL: Filing for Unemployment Has Been Streamlined, Tech Upgrades Made

The DOL has upgraded its online and call center technology systems(Photo by John Schnobrich on Unsplash)

April 13, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

The New York Department of Labor has upgraded its online and call center technology systems that will increase the agency’s capacity to process unemployment benefit applications.

The new system, dubbed “Tech Surge,” was rolled out Friday — in partnership with Google Cloud, Deloitte, and Verizon — and will help speed up getting cash to people who have been laid-off as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a statement released Thursday.

Up until last week, many people who filed for unemployment were unable to complete the process online–and were required to call in to verify information pertaining to their claim. However, the agency’s phone system failed to keep up with the surge in new applicants and many people missed out on getting badly needed funds.

The new streamlined website – which has increased the number of servers that support its online filing system from four to over 60 — will fully process most applications online and relieve some of the backlog on the agency’s phones systems.

The department has urged applicants to first use the new online system in order to reduce the number of people who must speak to a claims specialist over the phone. Further, people who are unable to complete the process online are no longer required to call the agency to finish their application. Instead, the department said it will call those applicants and are advising them that the incoming caller ID may be listed as, “private number.”

Labor Commissioner Department Roberta Reardon said the agency recognizes that this is a challenging time for all New Yorkers and that the agency is responding as quickly as possible.

“I have been unemployed. I understand the urgency,” she said.

“We know that your livelihood depends on it and we assure you that you will get your benefits,” she added.

Applicants who are entitled to benefits will receive them, even if there filing date is delayed, the statement read.

The call center’s opening hours have been extended to seven days per week and the number of staff has already been bumped up to 1,000 from 400 with plans in place to add a further 200, the agency said.

More than 16 million Americans have now lost their jobs in the last three weeks, according to the latest Labor Department figures released Thursday. Just over 345,000 New Yorkers filed new claims last week ending April 4.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Romanian nationals busted for ATM skimming scheme that involved more than 600 Queens residents: Feds

The NYPD and federal agents arrested five Romanian nationals living in Queens on Thursday for engaging in a sophisticated ATM skimming operation that involved the theft of bank account information and PIN numbers from more than 600 unsuspecting bank customers from across the borough.

The five men were named in an indictment that was unsealed in Brooklyn federal court charging them with fraud and aggravated identity theft following a long-term investigation by the NYPD, FBI and the Secret Service.

3 men sought for armed robbery in East Elmhurst home invasion near LaGuardia Airport: NYPD

The NYPD is looking for three men who allegedly robbed an East Elmhurst man of tens of thousands of dollars during a home invasion early Monday morning.

Police from the 115th Precinct in Jackson Heights responded to a 911 call of an armed robbery at a townhouse located at 108-09 Ditmars Blvd. near 29th Avenue just south of LaGuardia Airport.
The victim had pulled up in front of his home just before 2 a.m. when he was approached by three suspects. One of them pulled out a firearm and forced him inside the townhouse where they stole around $30,000 in cash and a safe that contained an unspecified amount of jewelry, before exiting and driving off in a silver four-door SUV, police said.

Corona man criminally charged with sex trafficking for forcing Mexican woman into prostitution: DA

A Corona man has been indicted on sex trafficking charges for allegedly forcing a Mexican woman to engage in prostitution over a three-year period, Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Wednesday.

Galindo Capultitla, 39, of 40th Road, was arraigned Tuesday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Peter Vallone Jr. on a seven-count indictment charging him with three counts of sex trafficking and other crimes for forcing the victim to engage in sex for money in Mexico and the United States, including in Queens. During the victim’s three-year ordeal, Capultitla allegedly hit and choked her—and even threatened to kill her family in Mexico—if she failed to hand over the money gained through sex.